Nathan Douglas pulls out of European Team Championships due to injury

This news broke on Friday, June 19th, 2015 | For more breaking news visit our news page

Triple jumper Nathan Douglas remains hopeful of qualifying for this year’s IAAF World Championships, despite suffering an injury setback.

The GB athlete was due to compete for Great Britain & Northern Ireland at this weekend’s European Team Championships in Cheboksary, Russia, but he was forced to pull out yesterday.

However, the 32-year-old is still optimistic of competing at the Sainsbury’s British Championships on July 3-5, when he needs to jump the A standard of 16.90m to qualify for the World Championships in Beijing this August.

He said: “Unfortunately, I have had to make the tough and frustrating decision of pulling out of the European Team Championships.

“Having spoken to the doctor, as a precaution to not put myself at risk of causing further damage, we think it is best to rest and recover as the main focus for this year is qualifying for the World Championships.

“Everything should be ok for the British Championships.”

Last year, he made the final at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, but could not challenge for a medal due to a fracture in his back.

He was also forced to miss the 2012 Olympics with a thigh injury.

“It is very tough to pick yourself up mentally, but I can count on myself in that sense,” he said.

“When I go out there to compete I think of all the support shown to me, it is more than just about me.

“There is a bigger picture. Beijing has always been the target. I want to fight for the world championship.”

 


Comments are closed.